The History of The Christadelphian Advocate

We shall then conclude that the Master has no use for us in this field of operation, and we shall bow in humble submission to his will. Let us also, while taking this uncompromising and unflinching stand, "cry aloud and spare not," let us sound out the alarm to this godless and mammon-worshipping nation, that the day is near at hand when the judgments of God's intervention will be poured out upon the world of humanity, causing "a time of trouble such as never was...even to that same time" (Daniel 12:1). Let us herald the gladsome news of the soon-to-be-established kingdom of Yahweh upon the ruins of the ungodly kingdoms, empires, and republics of men.

Brother Thomas Williams, as stated above, founded The Christadelphian Advocate in 1885, and continued as owner and editor until his death in 1913. Prior to his death, Brother Williams contacted with six brothers who were to become by transfer, the owners of all assets associated with the magazine, and the right to publication. This included the printing press as well as all books, tracts, pamphlets and sundry electrotype plates. All property of the magazine was transferred by sale to the six brothers by Sister Williams.

It is very evident that The Advocate Magazine originated as an independent private enterprise, and has continued as such to the present time, with ownership vested in the committee, and further, that the committee has the responsibility and the authority to appoint the editor and committee members as the occasion may require. The succeeding editors, up until the 1980s, were burdened with not only editing, but also publishing the magazine. In the early 80s, the publishing of the Advocate was separated from the editor, thus easing his burden somewhat.

Current Basis and Objective

The Christadelphian Advocate Publishing Committee stands today as its founder, the late Thomas Williams stood, namely, upon the Scriptural basis set forth in the Bible which we believe to be the Word of God; and which is conveniently summarized in The Christadelphian Unamended Statement of Faith. The Committee is dedicated to the task of encouraging its readers to faithfully uphold the original Faith once delivered to the Saints; and to reflect their dedication to these doctrines by leading a life set apart from the world by close observance of the Commandments of Christ, without which holiness unto the Lord is impossible. The Christadelphian Advocate exists for the purpose of bringing the following services to the Christadelphian Brotherhood:

  1. Publication of a monthly magazine, The Christadelphian Advocate, intended for the strengthening and enlightening of those who profess the Name of Jesus Christ, and as a bond of inter-communication between those of like precious faith.
  2. A publishing service, making available to Brethren of Christ and interested friends, books and pamphlets published by the Committee. Literature published by others is also made available, which is deemed useful in the cause of the Truth.

The charges to be made for The Christadelphian Advocate Magazine, and for any books or pamphlets distributed by the Christadelphian Advocate Publishing Committee shall be determined by the actual cost of publication and distribution. No profits are to be taken from the Lord's work, nor are any members of the organization to receive any salary or remuneration other than for authorized "out of pocket" expenses. All labor is to be gratis, as unto the Lord.

– The Christadelphian Advocate Committee

( The above information was gleaned from the March 1985 100th Anniversary Issue, a 1971 history written by Paul Safford and the Constitution and Bylaws of the Advocate dated 4/1/83. )


The Advocate Committee members are volunteers who freely dedicate their service to this effort. Current active members are:

James I. Millay - Editor
James E. Farrar - Business Coordinator
Jim Washeck
Robert Miller
Tom Carson - Treasurer


The Christadelphian Advocate Magazine is published monthly. Subscriptions available from:

Tom Carson
8100 Three Chopt Rd, Suite 238
Richmond, VA  23229-4833